Monday, September 17, 2018

Who Gets The Credit?

The days of the ego are behind us. Even a figure as beloved as Barack Obama has been ridiculed for suddenly showing up and trying to take credit for things he said can never happen. Of course, the guy who replaced him isn't exactly a humble fellow. Now more than ever, there is no I in TEAM.

And no one likes a showoff.

While we still fawn over Warren Buffett and Steve Jobs, we live in a time when CEOs are sharing the credit for successes while hoarding the blame. Not all of them of course. As long as there are people, there will be assholes.

I received an email from a colleague yesterday forwarding a note where someone was blatantly stealing an idea that was mine. I wasn't annoyed. I wasn't upset. I'm proud I created something worth stealing.

It was a concept that is not meant to be profitable. I took no steps to protect or patent it. This was something I wanted to share with people.

Please note that this is not to imply that I am a pushover. You steal something of value from me, I'll eviscerate you. 

I have experienced this before in several organizations I've been involved in. I choose to think of it as  if I brought the idea to a certain point and then handed it off to someone willing and able to take it further.

I am not in it for the glory. I am looking to benefit as many people as possible.  I choose to see these events as force-multipliers. I can be more effective at anything if I put it in the hands of others than if I try to do everything myself.

A wise man once said it's amazing what we can accomplish if we don't care who gets the credit.



Adolfo Jimenez is an executive coach, entrepreneur, consultant, book club nerd, and family man living in Hollywood, FL. He is the owner of Le Velo Macaron and other businesses.

You can find him on Instagram and LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment