Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Only Easy Day

I woke up yesterday like I always do. Very early. I took my dog for a walk. I made breakfast. Answered emails. Took care of business. I did the things I do. And I felt miserable about it. I felt burnt out. I was depressed. Truth be told, I still am.  This happens to me. I am not above telling you that I have dealt with depression since I was in grade school. It comes and it goes. If just so happens I am going through one of those phases.

Not sure why. I don't know why some days are harder than others. I can't tell you why some days I feel ready to tackle the world and other days I feel like it's rolled over me.

We all feel that way sometimes.

On these days, you have to simply work harder. You can't pull the sheets over your head. You need to put your feet on the floor and get moving. This is what personal trainers will tell you about exercise, but it applies to the daily grind.

Anyone can do it when they're in the mood. What separates winners from runners up is what they do on the days when they don't feel up to it.

Navy Seals have a saying: The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday. It's how they tell themselves that there are no easy days. Every day is a challenge. If you're working hard toward a goal, it will require effort, sometimes more effort than you want to give. Give it anyway. That's the only time it matters.


Adolfo Jimenez is an executive coach, entrepreneur, consultant, book club nerd, and family man living in Hollywood, FL. He is the owner of Le Velo Macaron and other businesses.

You can find him on Instagram and LinkedIn




 

No comments:

Post a Comment