Saturday, August 25, 2018

Round Up The Posse

Jim Rohn said you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. That might be a scary thought. But it's also a thought that can open you up to all kinds of new possibilities.

I spend a lot of time with my wife. This is good because... well, she's my wife. Also, she and I are of the same mindset. We work hard. We share the same values. We encourage one another. What else do I need?

Now, throughout the course of my day I come in contact with scores of people. Some are my colleagues, some are my clients. I try to approach every interaction with the greatest amount of positivity I can. I try to learn from everyone I meet or spend time around. If this possibility doesn't exist, I coach them and try to add value to their lives. If that's not possible, I limit contact.

I have friends I care about deeply who want to go to lunch with me a couple of times a week. I limit it to once a month. There are two reasons for this. The first reason is that I often work through lunch. The second reason is that they will ruin my lunch with their complaining and I don't want to fill the second half of my day with negativity. Why poison my mind when I still have work to do and money to make?

Drive time is reserved for phone calls to family and to audiobooks. I see no point in listening to news. It only brings me down or pisses me off. I'd rather spend drive time listening to books and improving myself. I occasionally listen to some music when I feel the need to decompress. The folks at CNN and Fox ain't part of my posse!

The craziest thing I do is drive in silence. I'll do this once or twice a week. No music, no books, no calls. Just the sound of the engine and my thoughts. Try it sometime. It's therapeutic.

All of these things are better than being in the presence of people who bring me down. They also allow me to populate my posse with people who are successful like Gary Vaynerchuk or Jim Rohn or even George Washington.

Try any of these techniques and let me know how it goes.


Adolfo Jimenez is an executive coach, entrepreneur, book club nerd, and family man living in Hollywood, FL. He is the owner of www.levelomacaron.com 
You can find him at https://www.instagram.com/adolfo.jimenez/

No comments:

Post a Comment