Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Hours

I can't sleep.

I don't mean today. I mean in general. I've always been an early riser. I remember whenever I slept over my cousin's house when we were kids, I woke up at the butt-crack of dawn and waited around impatiently until she woke up so we could go outside and play. Nothing has changed.

I usually wake up around five. This is a good time for me since there is silence in the house. It's the time I write, read, contemplate the mysteries of the universe... that kind of thing. I don't always get out of bed at five, but I am awake.

I've joined some online writers' groups lately and I'm struck with the realization that there are a lot of people out there who want to be recognized as writers. I'm not sure how many of them are actually writing. Talking about writing is rather interesting. Calling yourself a writer can be exciting and in some circles can get you laid. Writing on the other hand, is a lonely, arduous life. Not everyone can do it. If you're writing for recognition, you're wasting your time. Become a performance artist if you want recognition. Writers should write.

I'm aware that we live in a celebrity culture and that we all want to be seen and recognized. I know we all want to succeed. I get that. But the only way you'll succeed as a writer is by writing.

When I read posts by "writers" asking what they should name a character, I SMH and LOL. J/K, I do none of those things. But I never respond because that is not a person interested in writing, that is a person looking for attention. That is a person who wants to be known as a writer. Whether they write anything other than a Facebook post is of little consequence.

Please spellcheck your hate mail.

Keep it up,

Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment