Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Keeping it Loco

I did something this morning I haven't done in a long time. I read the local news. I read the Miami Herald and Sun Sentinel. Not every article, but some articles. And I read from their websites. I am not in possession of actual newsprint. I hear it still exists, but it has more to do with coupons and birdcages than with news. It's just as well.

Browsing the pages I found a lot of opinion, a lot of tragedy, and a localized version of the same stuff I see on national news sites. Wear a mask! Delta Variant will kill you even if you haven't been born yet! Conservatives are bad! Liberals are good! Opinion disguised as news. 

This is not meant to be a political post. I guess I'm just sharing why I stopped reading local news. I don't follow sports anymore, so there's no value for me there. I don't care that the hipsters of the world now prefer Fort Lauderdale to Wynwood. I was, however, surprised to learn that my hometown is one of the horniest places in America. What a time to be alive! (And married!)

There was a time in my live when I couldn't live without the news. I was a certified news junkie. I blogged about the experience for the better part of a year. You can read that blog here. It's for sale, don't judge me. I got bills to pay.

I am happy that this time has passed. I still have very strong opinions and can still argue effectively for or against many positions. How do I do this? I learned a lot when I was an addict, and the crap politicians on both sides of the aisle are trying to pull is no different now than it was then. It's like riding a bicycle. The biggest difference is that this is a bike you don't mind falling from.

Adolfo Jimenez is an author, poet, and blogger. He lives in Hollywood, Florida. He has published ten books, which you can find here.

No comments:

Post a Comment