Monday, December 2, 2019

The Business Part 2

If you'd like to read the first part of this blog series, click here.


I was talking about the difference or the contrast between writing and the business of writing. I am not good at the business side of writing. I know I can be and I have no doubt I will be, but at the moment, I suck at it.

I suck at it because I haven't learned how to do it. Once I learn it, look out world!

I have earned my living for the past several years in sales. I know how to sell. I make a fine living at it. I have just always found it easier to sell things, than it is to sell myself.

I wake up very early every morning. Usually before five AM. I start writing around six AM. Writing is the only thing I've ever been disciplined about.

I mention that because if you don't have the discipline to write, you're wasting your time reading this. Be gone!

I should also mention that this is being written for those who wish to go the self-publishing route.  If you are hoping to be published by a big house and they are going to throw big money into promoting your books, you are dismissed. I don't want you laughing at me. Be gone!

I submitted my work to agents and publishers many years ago and then stopped. I wrote for myself and never shared a word. Now, I'm back and I want to do it myself. Wish me luck!

Before you try to sell your writing, make sure you have something to sell. I stalk Facebook and Reddit "writer" groups where people spend a lot of time asking questions like, "What should I name my character?" and other nonsense. I have news for you: if you don't know what to name your character, which should be the easiest part of the process, there is nothing on any social media group that will help you. You are dismissed, follow the best sellers.

If you have written the book and it is ready for release into the wild, read on...




Adolfo Jimenez is an author, poet, and blogger. He lives in Hollywood, Florida. He has published eight books, which you can find here.







<script data-ad-client="ca-pub-8729603388037550" async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>

No comments:

Post a Comment